In addition to the Daring to Lead 2011 study, my friends Marla Cornelius and Tim Wolfred at CompassPoint Nonprofit Services in San Francisco recently assembled a thought-provoking piece on the trends they are seeing in the hundreds of organizations their organization touches each year. While you might argue with a few from your personal perspective, this short white paper will get you thinking about how you can be better prepared for new and emerging challenges and opportunities alike.
Their 9 traits are:
1. Impact Driven – we already knew this one
2. Finance and Business Savvy - ditto
3. Continuous Learning - hmmm
4. Shared Leadership – sometimes seems we have too many leaders now
5. Wired for Policy Advocacy – since the government touches everything
6. Multicultural and Culturally Competent – diversity increases complexity while it drives creativity
7. Ambiguity of Work-Life Boundaries – does anyone remember the 40 hour work week?
8. Constituents as Thought Partners – do we ask the people who really know us best?
9. Boards as Value Add – imagine a board that multiplies your energy instead of consuming it
Read the full paper.